1. Subject Matter: performance of Western chamber music for Western classical instruments, also including strings, keyboard, woodwinds, brass, guitar, and percussion.
2. Key learning outcomes: Students will focus on the principles of good ensemble playing and individual playing in preparation for a final performance.
3. Methods of instruction: Ensembles rehearse weekly for 90 minutes, and individual practice is expected from all members. A mandatory Master Class is included, and will be conducted by sponsor Leighton Fong. Outside coaching is highly recommended and can be provided upon request. A public performance, the Final Concert, is required of all ensembles at the end of the semester.
4. Evaluation of student performance: Regular attendance at rehearsals, one Master Class, and coaching sessions; conscientious preparation of individual parts; Final Concert performance. Quality of performance=10%. Midterm evaluation (Master Class)=25%. Final concert=65%.
5. Credits and Units: This is a 1 unit “pass/fail” class, but can be taken for 0 units (auditing). This class does not count toward the Music Minor requirements.