British Parliamentary debate is a globally recognized academic debate format, featuring four teams of two persons that engage each other through a series of seven-minute speeches interspersed with questions. This course is intended to serve as a hands-on introduction to the activity through in-class lectures, practice rounds, and video screenings. Classes will consist of lectures, drills, and presentations from experienced debaters. Students will be able to participate with the ultimate goal of being able to participate competitively in practice rounds either as debaters or as part of a panel of judges. Prior debate experience is helpful, but not necessary.
● Explain major economic, political, and social issues from multiple perspectives.
● Develop logical arguments on any given topic under time constraints.
● Present responsive and structured speeches to an audience.
● Compete comfortably in collegiate-level debating tournaments.
● Critically examine and find flaws in arguments you hear.
Public speaking skills are honed through regular practice. For this reason, attendance at every class is required.
20% In Class Participation
10% Tournament Participation
No day(s) left until application deadline!
|LS 198.2||Diane Chao, Elizabeth Zhou||30||219 Dwinelle||[W] 6:30PM-8:30PM||02/08/2023||Open||--||--|