"Brain like Berkeley": An Insight Into the Artistry of Frank Ocean is an analysis of Frank Ocean's personal background, creative process, poetic devices and symbolism, and revolutionary influence on the music industry. Course structure includes lectures, group discussions, presentations, and more.
● To present a new way of thinking in regards to art and literature
● To curate weekly response assignments that encourage deeper literary
exploration of Frank Ocean’s artistry both in lyrics and through visuals and
● To facilitate exposure to a history of Frank Ocean’s rising and progression as a
writer/artist — in the context of the music industry’s critics, a comparison of his style
with other styles present within the genre at the time, and his identity as a queer black
● To provide a safe environment to discuss Frank Ocean’s poetry/music with
sensitivity, creative respect, and open-minded thinking to allow everyone to contribute
and benefit from being a part of this class
● To examine and dissect the social commentary Frank Ocean presents
throughout the body of his writing, such the way he challenges dominant social concepts such as toxic-masculinity and gender politics.
*ATTENDANCE IS MANDATORY*
No day(s) left until application deadline!