MEDLIFE (Medicine, Education, and Development for Low Income Families Everywhere) is an international non-profit organization dedicated to helping families in South America achieve greater freedom from the constraints of poverty, and empowering them to live healthier lives.
This course serves as preparation for a 2-week medical and clinical volunteer trip to Peru during summer break (May 23rd - June 7th). This brigade offers unique clinical opportunities for students of all disciplines. As part of the UC Berkeley MEDLIFE chapter, students will learn the necessary tools to understand the importance of sustainability in medical outreach, in addition to Spanish skills that will enhance clinic experience and patient care. Moreover, our course also covers greater public health issues and implements such knowledge through local clinical and non-clinical service for under-served Bay Area communities.
In this course, students will:
• Learn basic conversational Spanish and medical Spanish phrases that will aid them during their interactions with patients in their trip.
• Learn the problems associated with “voluntourism”, accessibility to healthcare and other issues pertinent to Public Health or the service trip abroad.
• Participate in interactive modules that prepare them for the different clinical stations (including dentistry, pharmacy, vitals, etc)
• Create educational plans for underprivileged Bay-Area communities
• Work alongside health professionals to increase access to care and to develop care plans for Medical/Medicaid qualifying individuals
• Provide door-to-door bilingual canvasing services to increase care access
No day(s) left until application deadline!
|Section 1||__||30||Barrows 136||[Tu] 6:00PM-8:00PM||2/4/2020||Open||--||--|
|Section 2||__||30||Dwinelle 179||[Th] 6:00PM-8:00PM||2/6/2020||Open||--||--|