The Music Business Masterclass has a sole purpose: to empower the next generation of UC Berkeley undergraduates pursuing careers in the Music Industry.
As UC Berkeley’s first academic program dedicated to analyzing and engaging with the modern-day industry, this 2-unit DeCal aims to provide students with a comprehensive understanding of key aspects of the business, including but not limited to: Record Labels, Digital Streaming, Artists & Repertoire, Startups in Music, New-Industry Media, Artist Management, The Live Experience and D.I.Y for Creatives. Through weekly discussion sections, relevant case-studies and visits from notable industry-insiders, we will explore the interrelations between music as an art, a business and a space for tech-innovation. Upon completion of the Music Business Masterclass, students will be able to answer the following questions for further topic exploration:
About me, the ambitious student:
- Which roles are directly and indirectly related to the music business?
- How has Silicon Valley disrupted traditional industry practices?
- How can I best pursue an internship / career in the music business?
- How can other career paths (i.e. finance, law) intersect with music?
About the music business:
- In which areas is the music business shrinking and growing?
- How does a record labels implement 360 and distribution deals?
- How has streaming impacted the industry’s overall health?
- In which ways are live tours and music festivals financially viable?
About me, the creative / manager / agent:
- What is the process of an artist getting signed to a record label?
- What do the roles of an artist manager, lawyer and A&R involve?
- How has the role of A&R developed across decades and between labels?
- What is the D.I.Y process of creating music from conception to release?
- 1 Midterm and 1 Final Case-Study Exercise
- Participation and Attendance: 2 points for attendance and 1 point for participating in class discussions.
- Each student must write 1 short blog post on topic of their interest, to be posted on the class website and Facebook group.
*Full Spring 2018 syllabus can be found here: https://tinyurl.com/y7frb2bu
|Section||Daniyal Malik & Kenneth Zhang||--||128 Morrison Hall||[M] 6:00PM-8:00PM||01/22/2018||
|Music Business Masterclass | Spring 2018 Syllabus||Download|